post counter





BLOGS TO COME

Sunday, January 20, 2013

LAST MEMORY OF WALKING

#31 - LAST MEMORY OF WALKING

It was early in the morning and the hospital seemed like it was almost empty. The three of us were the only ones in the waiting room and the hard plastic chairs were surprisingly cold. The only noise that was being projected came from the television that was mounted high on the wall and was broadcasting the DISNEY channel,  we did not sit there long before a nurse that was carrying a folder had came out from the back room and asked me to come to the back so that she could weigh me and get me prepped.  I was so nervous and I remember how it had felt like my ass was firmly fastened to the chair by 2 brand new strips of velcro.  My grandpa seemed to either see or sense that I was going to need help because he reached under my arm with his and helped me to stand up.  He had then grabbed my hand (The only time that I can remember him ever holding my hand., there was usually a beer in his hand.) and he walked along side me as I went with the nurse.

Once in the back room I had to remove my clothing and put a gown on.  I was a scrawny kid and I bet my skinny, white ass was hanging out and mooning every one as I walked over to the scale so that I could be weighed.    After being weighed I was lead to a room that had a bed in it and my mom and my grandpa were sitting in there and waiting for me.  When I went into the room I was told that someone would be in to start my I.V and I was asked if there was anything that I needed.  I was so hungry but they would not let me have anything to eat except for ice chips.   Someone had asked me if I wanted to play NINTENDO and I told them that I did.   A nurse came into the room pushing a cart and told me that she was going to start my I.V and then she was going to insert the catheter and at that  point I had thrown a fit. (I was not about to let anyone put anything into the tip of my PP!)   I was in a panic and the nurse re-checked her notes and seen that that the catheter was to be inserted after I had fallen asleep.   I was calmed down when she had assured me that the catheter was to be inserted when I had fallen asleep and she was able to insert the I.V needle without me making a sound.  (As long as I am able to watch the needle, shots do not bother me.)  They brought in a TV that was on a cart that also had a NINTENDO on it.  There were only 2 games, TETRIS and DICK TRACY.  TETRIS was a boring game to me at that time so I had  played the GAME.  I remember how I had been interrupted from my game by a man that had been dressed like a doctor. He came in to ask a few questions about my blood type in case something went wrong and they needed to give me some donor blood.  (My grandpa offered to give me some of his blood and I remember how my mom had looked at me and smiled because we both had known that his blood had been  high in alcohol.)  The doctor had left the room and a nurse brought me in a small cup with a few pills in it along with a cup full of water.  Not long after I had taken the pills, I had started to feel drowsy.
..................................................................................................
My last memory of walking had taken place that morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment