post counter





BLOGS TO COME

Sunday, October 7, 2012

ARE YOU MY GRANDMA ?



 











#24 - ARE YOU MY GRANDMA?

 
I had been so nervous and my palms had been so sweaty that I had been afraid I would drop the change before I had  gotten it into the payphone, i had tried to plan out what I been going to say to her. FIRST READING THIS, YOU PROBABLY THOUGHT THAT I HAD BEEN GOING TO CALL UP SOME CHICK, THAT I HAD GONE TO SCHOOL WITH THAT IS OF COURSE IF YOU HAD NOT SEEN THE TITLE OF THIS POST.  she had lived in Vandalia and she had been a relative of mine that I had never before heard of let alone met, I had to beg my mom for the change needed to use the payphone.  that woman had never ceased to amaze me by what information she had withheld from us kids and the only way in which I had found out about the woman that I had been going to call was being nosy.  We had been at the Salem Mall located in Dayton with my Aunt Sharon sitting in the food court and the two of them had been talking about what a bitch my mom's  grandmother had been.  I had asked them if she had still been alive and my mom had told me that her grandmother had been to evil to die so I had told the tow of them that I had wanted to give her a call.  My mom had been hesitant when it had came to writing down her grandmother's number for me and there had been some time where I had not thought that she was going to let me call the woman.  SO THAT HAD BROUGHT ME TO THE WALL IN WHICH THE MALL HAD KEPT THE PUBLIC PAY-PHONES THAT HAD BEEN NEAR THE FOOD COURT AND I HAD BEEN ABOUT TO CALL A WOMAN THAT I HAD NEVER SPOKEN WITH BEFORE.  I had finally gotten the quarters in the pay phone and had tried to plan out my opening statement when the woman had answered the phone, I can remember how bad my hands had been shaking as I had tried to dial the phone.  Before I had known it, she had answered the phone before I had decided what I had been going to say.  are you my grandma I had asked before I had even introduced  myself to her and I can recall the way she had sounded when she had told me that it had depended on who I had been.  First impressions are the most memorable and my first impression of the woman had been that she had not seemed to be a bitch like my mom had said.  I had made plans with her to visit her and then I had hung up with her and went to tell my mom the good news but, she had not been as excited as I has been about going to my grandma's house.  WE HAD NEVER HAD MUCH MONEY AND HAD WALKED AROUND THE MALL FOR EXERCISE OFTEN. The whole way to her house, my mom had repeated to me numerous times that my grandma was not to be believed about things that she had said regarding my mom.  My mom had walked me to her front door and when the old woman had answered, my mom had told me that she had some errands to run and that I was to call her when I had been ready to  leave.  My grandma's house had the strong odor of cigarettes and her once white walls had been stained with nicotine, she had a nice living room but we had not visited in there.  We had gone in to a much smaller room that had been next to the living room and she had introduced to her very old JackRussel Terrier, the dog had a mouth full of green teeth and had not been very friendly.  I had sat there drinking a cold can of Coke as I had began to ask her numerous questions and then I had asked her to tell me a little about how my mom had been when she had been younger.  I DID NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING THAT SHE HAD TOLD ME BUT I DID ON SOME OF THE STUFF AS I HAD NO PROBLEM SEEING HER DO SOME OF THE THINGS.  On our second visit my sister Sam had came along and it had been obvious that my Grandma had not liked her very much, I had brought her a medal that I had received from the Young Heroes.  She had given me something that my grandpa had made before he had died a few years earlier, I had felt bad because of my little sister had not gotten anything.  My mom had been asked to do little chores every time that we had visited my grandma, an example would have been how my mom had been asked to wipe down the yellowed walls and repaint them.  WE HAD TAKEN MY GRANDMA OUT AND ABOUT AND I REMEMBER WE HAD BEEN AT THE MALL IN DAYTON NO LESS, WHEN SHE HAD DECIDED SHE WOULD TELL ME WHY BLACK PEOPLE HAD BEEN SO GOOD AT BASKETBALL.  SHE HAD ACTUALLY USED THE OTHER WORD TO DESCRIBE BLACK PEOPLE AND THE MANY BLACK PEOPLE STANDING AROUND US HAD FOUND HER TO BE VERY INTERESTING AT THAT POINT AS I HAD, LET HER OUT OF THAT STORE.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment