post counter





BLOGS TO COME

Sunday, October 21, 2012

THE PROBLEM THE SOLUTION


#28  - THE PROBLEM THE SOLUTION


The 3 of us had sat inside Dr. lehner's privet office in down town Dayton.  I had never seen him out side of Children's Medical Center and I had kept myself busy looking at all of the photos that he had hanging all over his office.  Neither my mom or I had figured out why he had wanted to see me outside of the hospital and he had not kept us waiting very long, he had came into the office and had gotten straight to the point.  He had told me that he had been following the curvature of my spin for awhile and he had went on to tell me that when I had my leg operated on, he had taken an ex-ray of both my leg and back.  He then had told me that he had also taken an ex-ray of my back the day that I had my cast removed and he had mentioned that he had not liked how big of a difference that he had seen in the curvature in such a short period of time.  HE HAD NORMALLY KEPT ME IN A CAST FOR A MONTH OR TWO BEFORE  HE HAD IT TAKEN OFF, I HAD ALWAYS HATED HIM FOR MAKING ME OPERATE NORMALLY WITH A BROKEN BONE THAT HAD NOT HAD THE SHELTER OF A CAST.  I WOULD NOT UNDERSTAND HIS MENTALITY OF USE IT OR LOSE IT UNTIL MANY YEARS LATER.   I remember how he had turned on a lite on behind him and pulled two ex-rays from his desk, my mom had went over the two ex-rays while the doctor had explained the curvature to her and where it had been.  The two ex-rays had looked the same to me so I had quit looking at them.  When my mom had sat back down the doctor had told me that he had thought that I had now been old enough for him to include in any conversation hat had involved my body and health from that point on.   I had always known that they had been keeping me in the dark about a lot of shit but, I had liked the idea of no more secrets from them to me when it had been about me.

H e had told both of us that if we had allowed my scoliosis  to continue at the rate that it had been going, my lungs would eventually be crushed and that would make it harder for me to breath and walk.  He had looked at me before he had told me that he could fix the problem but, it would require surgery and like all the surgery had risks.  I remember how my mom had started to cry as the doctor had been defining for me what the risks had been, the only thing that I had not liked was the idea of the catheter that was going to be put in my penis.   He had told me that he had understood my worry and would make sure that the catheter would be put in after I had been asleep, that had been the only thing that I had worried about.  WHEN YOU ARE YOUNG IT IS FUNNY THAT THE THING YOU FOCUS ON AND HEAR IS NOT ALWAYS THE WORST THING WHEN GIVEN A LIST OF BAD SCENARIOS.  before we had left his office, my doctor had wanted to know if we both had trusted him.  He had reminded the two of us that it had been important to take care of that matter immediately, he had then told us that he had given the matter much thought and the surgery had seemed to be the most logical as well as permanent solution.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment